Weapons On Campus
It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to possess or carry any BB gun, stun gun, air rifle, air pistol, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, metallic knuckles, razors and razor blades (except solely for personal shaving), firework, or any sharp-pointed or edged instrument except instructional supplies, unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction, and maintenance, on educational property. NCGS §14-269.2(d)
It shall be a Class I felony for any person knowingly to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any gun, rifle, pistol, or other firearm of any kind on educational property or to a curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. NCGS §14-269.2(b)
It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor rather than a Class I felony if:
- The person is not a student, or is an employee employed by the school working on the educational property, AND
- The firearm is not loaded, is in a motor vehicle, and is in a locked container or a locked firearm rack. Concealed carry permittees can secure their handguns in their vehicle on school grounds.
It shall be a Class G felony for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any dynamite cartridge, bomb, grenade, mine, or powerful explosive. NCGS §14-269.2(b1) The term “powerful explosives” includes, but shall not be limited to, nitroglycerin, trinitrotoluene, and blasting caps, detonators and fuses for the explosion thereof. NCGS §14-284.1(d)
Weapons Off Campus
Other areas where weapons are prohibited:
- Private property/businesses that post a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises.
- Assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold – NCGS §14-269.3(a)
- State buildings and grounds thereof (State Capitol Building, Executive Mansion, Western Residence of the Governor, or any building used to house any court of the General Court of Justice) – NCGS §14-269.4
- Events Occurring in Public Places (parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State) – NCGS §14-277.2