As part of our focus as an educational nonprofit organization, the attorneys are available to conduct seminars, workshops, and special programs on areas of legal concern for residence halls, fraternities, sororities, registered student groups, and classes. In addition, our legal staff contributes to newspaper articles, local radio and television programs concerning legal matters that affect students.
The Legal Werk Podcast is recorded with our attorneys by 88.1 WKNC, the campus radio station, and focuses on legal information for students.
- Episode 1 – What Are My Rights When Stopped By The Police in a Car (16:20)
- Episode 2 – Protesting (15:47)
- Episode 3 – Parties (19:03)
- Episode 4 – International Student Rights (17:28)
- Episode 5 – Housing Landlords and Tenants (27:40)
- Episode 6 – Personal Protective Orders (25:46)
- Episode 7 – Hillsborough Hike Halloween Special (21:43)
USLS helps students with a variety of landlord/tenant issues including leases, repairs, security deposits, eviction, early termination, pets, damage, roommate problems, sublease agreements, and bedbugs.
- Landlords and Tenants Pamphlet (NC Bar Association “This is Law”)
- City of Raleigh Tenants’ Rights and Obligations Handbook (City of Raleigh Community Services Department)
- Renting Residential Real Estate (The North Carolina Real Estate Commission) | Brochure Format
- Tenant Security Deposits (The North Carolina Real Estate Commission) | Brochure Format
- Landlord/Tenant Inspection Checklist
We assist students with matters of consumer protection including travel/baggage issues; telephone, Internet, and postal solicitations; property repair, health clubs, and insurance questions including auto, property, and health. We also help students learn about and deal with a variety of scams such as check schemes, car title scams, Craigslist/Internet scams, apartment lease scams, out-of-country/out-of-state sales, and “too good to be true” scams.
We can help students with issues dealing with credit history, credit cards, debts/defaults, collections, ID fraud/theft, credit rehabilitation, bank problems, and establishing credit.
- Buying On Time Pamphlet (NC Bar Association)
- Understanding Your Credit – Learn more about credit, obtaining your credit report, correcting credit report errors, repairing bad credit, and maintaining good credit.
- Student Loans – Learn more about student loans including criteria for loan deferment, forbearance, forgiveness, and loan delinquency.
- Filing for Bankruptcy Pamphlet (NC Bar Association)
Employment concerns such as job termination, wage/hour issues, contracts, covenants not to compete, harassment, and injuries can be addressed by our office.
We can help with business concerns like nonprofit status, contracts, W-9’s, and SS-4 forms.
- Trademark Request Form – Before using an identifying trademark of NC State University for any commercial or non-commercial reason, fill out the Trademark Request Form and contact NC State’s Trademark Licensing Department
Estate matters such as Wills, Living Wills, Health Care Power of Attorney, name changes, and Power of Attorneys can be handled by our office.
- Protecting Your Assets: Wills, Trusts & Powers of Attorney Pamphlet (NC Bar Association)
- Living Wills and Health Care Powers of Attorney Pamphlet (NC Bar Association)
We provide advice on traffic problems such as DMV points, insurance points, non-moving violations, registration problems, and driver’s license issues. The office also assists students with accidents including police reports, insurance points, types of insurance, driving points, and mandatory reporting. We also help students with issues related to their cars such as towing problems, leasing a car, purchasing a new or used car, rental cars, car warranties and service contracts, Lemon Law, auto insurance, and car repair issues.
- What To Do in Case of an Auto Accident Pamphlet (NC Bar Association)
- NC Department of Insurance Safe Driver Incentive Plan (SDIP) – It Pays To Be A Safe Driver (NC Department of Insurance)
- Buying a Used Car – There are several things you need to be aware of when you are considering buying a used car. Read our tips on what to look out for before you start your search.
- Warranties When Buying a Car – About to buy a new or used car? Learn about warranties, Lemon Laws, and laws on the disclosure of damage information by the seller.
USLS provides legal advice on criminal matters such as expungements, penalties, affects on visa status; advice regarding misdemeanors, felonies, criminal procedures and criminal records; First Offender’s and drug and alcohol programs.
- A Citizen’s Guide to Structured Sentencing (The NC Sentencing and Policy Advisory Commission)
- Interacting With a Police Officer – Information about your rights and responsibilities when interacting with a police officer
- Weapon Laws On and Off Campus – Familiarize yourself with the law regarding weapons on the college campus and off campus.
- Expungments – North Carolina allows certain dismissed charges and/or convictions to be expunged from your record if you petition the court.
We handle uncontested domestic issues dealing with child custody, support and visitation, separation agreements, divorces, domestic violence and no contact orders, sexual assault, stalking, and harassment.
- Marriage in North Carolina (NC Bar Association)
- Separation and Divorce (NC Bar Association)
- Child Custody / Visitation and Child Support (NC Bar Association)
- Domestic Violence (NC Bar Association)
USLS also provides immigration services for students.
There’s no cost to students, faculty or staff. Invitation letters, Power of Attorney documents, Board of Examiner forms, and car titles are all examples of documents commonly notarized by our office.